Pages

Sunday, March 03, 2013

The Long Journey Back

I usually put a lot more thought into what I write in these blogs. Life has moved so fast this week, that I really haven't put a lot of thought into this one. Trust me, that's a good thing!!

I got to Lubbock Friday night, a week ago. My family had been feeding me reports of Ray's progress over the last two weeks, but I was incredibly anxious to see it for myself. Especially since Ray wouldn't really acknowledge much progress. Gage noticed changes in Ray's speech pattern even before I did. After Ray had been in Lubbock a week, he told Gunnar, "You have to talk to Dad! His speech is so fluid. He doesn't have to stop and think of the words anymore!" As I talked to Ray over the next week, I noticed that Gage was right. Ray also stopped taking his Namenda that last week. The last time he stopped taking his meds was catastrophic, and I entered into the situation with some trepidation.

The Rettes had a playoff game in Lubbock Friday night, so not long after arriving in Lubbock, we took off for Tech. It was when we got to the arena that I could really see the difference. Ray was walking at a normal speed, and stepping off and on curbs in a normal stride!!! I am used to having to wait for Ray to stop and think before he stepped on or off a curb. And really, I'm usually holding onto him so he doesn't fall when he does it. We walked the ramps instead of the stairs going in, but it was freezing when we left the game, and Ray took the stairs with no problems. I cannot describe to you the elation I felt. I can't even remember the last time Ray could walk like that. Maybe 2004?

I knew that Diet Coke was going to be an issue. And it was. I think Ray really expected me to go get him one when I got there. I didn't. We had a cousin reunion Saturday (minus two), and met with Dr. Danforth Sunday morning (we met early due to the approaching blizzard). The doctor reviewed Ray's diet and exercises with me. Basically, lots of meat, veggies, fruit, and tons of water. Ray should have minimal grains, avoid processed foods and sugars, and ABSOLUTELY NO artificial sweeteners. Dr. Danforth feels that artificial sweeteners aren't good for anybody (I'm sure he's right), but that Ray's body can't process them. He should NEVER have another Diet Coke EVER again. He can have a regular Coke occasionally, but not diet.

I don't know what Ray expected to hear at the doctor's office, but it wasn't that. He was furious. As we left, he demanded I take him to get a Diet Coke. I refused. It got ugly. When we left for Booker, I was almost hysterical from sadness and frustration. For some reason, as soon as we got in the car to leave, Ray calmed down. We stopped at Chili's in Plainview for a late lunch. Ray ate chicken fajitas with no tortillas and water. He's been home a week today, and still hasn't had a Diet Coke. He eats what he is supposed to eat, avoids what he is supposed to avoid (even when everyone else is eating it), drinks his water, takes his supplements, and does his exercises. He finally admitted to me that he could feel and see the difference. I knew this had to be the case. Why else would he be so committed to jumping through all these hoops if he didn't think they were working?

When we got home, we were snowed in until Wednesday. Ray got out of the car Wednesday morning to go into work and Gunnar said, "I don't think Dad is walking any better. I can't see the difference." Of course, we were all walking pretty gingerly across the ice and snow. A lot of melting occurred during the day Wednesday, and when we went to pick Ray up, he stepped off the curb and walked right to us. I'd seen it at Tech, but watching Gunnar's reactions was priceless. That smile was worth the time, money, and heartache of the last few weeks.

Tonight we will drop Ray's pickup off at the mechanic's shop for some repairs, and when it comes out, he'll be driving it! This is going to be wonderful for all of us. The biggie is that it will be a huge boost to Ray's confidence and self-esteem, but it's going to make life for me and the boys much more pleasant too. We won't all be sitting around Perryton every afternoon, or my Dad won't have to make a trip over to get them. Our quality of life is going to improve a lot!!!

Again, I can't thank everyone enough for all the things that have been done for us. The prayers are working, so please keep praying. This isn't a cure, just a lifestyle to increase the quality (and hopefully quantity) of Ray's life. We will be going back to Lubbock once or twice a month, maybe forever, but as far as we can tell, it's completely worth it! The journey we've been through so that Ray could regain some of his health has been a long and stressful one for all of us. We've sought answers in places we never expected, and found answers in places we never expected. And been helped along our path in ways we never expected. We are so blessed, and God is so good.

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing this wonderful news :) Prayers do work and God is Good!!! Still thinking of you all and praying for you!! Thanks for sharing with us!!!
    Love,
    Ricky and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am extreemly happy about this great news.
    Praise God!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete